Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Best Band Ever*


*according to me, at this moment subject to change.

This is probably going to be more self indulgent than usual even though I'm not going to talk about how much this group affects me emotionally and how I've listened to them for years, because they haven't and I haven't. According to my iTunes I added them about 3 weeks ago and I guess I didn't listen to them until this weekend because the id3 tag was horribly incomplete (and a little shicking because I'm very orderly in such regard) but I decided to profile them, as mush as I am able to, because as I was trying to figure out who the band was or what the name of the songs were I did the usual google of some of the lyrics but there were like no results. I then figured out the date I downloaded them and from what site and so I figured out that Tikkle Me is the Best Band Ever.

I first "discovered" Tikkle Me on Swedes Please, a blog it seems devoted to Swedish pop music (which is really cool and really funny) and their post on an unsigned duo, Tikkle Me ( I really like typing and saying that name.) Of course I was intrigued and as the author of that post says (it's better to use his words because I feel I'm deficient in matters of describing music) "Both songs share a certain aesthetic; the common elements are the whimsical, almost other worldly references to nature, the incessant beats and the gorgeous vocal interplay of the duo of Frida Herchenröther & Karin Taberman." I suppose I can hear that whimsy but not necessarily in Boys vs. Girls (A Study) which to me explores the proscribed gender roles and stereotypes and the gender inequality of what bad boys are allowed to do as opposed as to what good girls must do, and lamenting the status quo and wondering what if it changes? You can download it right below, it's a lot more danceable than it sounds.

Tikkle Me- Boys vs. Girls (A Study) [mp3]

Boys vs. Girls Lyrics:

Bad Bad Boys they make great noise
Bad Bad Boys they make great noise
Good Good Girls they don't raise their voice
Good Good Girls they don't raise their voice
Bad Bad Boys need to be seen
Bad Bad Boys need to be seen
Good Good Girls they don't intervene
Good Good Girls they don't intervene

(chorus)
What if It changes? What if It Changes?
What if what if they switch place?
What if It changes? What if It Changes?
What if? What if?

Bad Bad Boys they scream and shout
Bad Bad Boys they scream and shout
Good Good Girls don't dare to go out
Good Good Girls don't dare to go out
Bad Bad Boys Need to Be Heard
Bad Bad Boys Need to Be Heard
Good Good Girls they don't say a word
Good Good Girls they don't say a word

(chorus)
What if it changes? What if it changes?
I want to change this.
Things must be tough in Sweden. I didn't think it was so patriarchal. The other song of theirs that I have (was that even close to grammatically correct) is Butterflies in my Tummy and I see can see more of the nature and whimsy in this piece, but it also has a new electro-disco/scissor sisters type beat
Butterflies in My Tummy Lyrics

A little friend comes with the morning bird
Begins to sing a very charming tune
A little tune, a tune I've never heard
And it goes on until the afternoon
A little crush. I don't know what to say
I say "hush hush. Don't tell him what you feel"
Cuz what I feel is kind of magical
And do I want this feeling to get real?

(chorus)
I turn around and there you are WooHoo
You're such a guy
Everytime you look at me W00Hoo
I have to smile.
On the day you said "Hello", WooHoo
I must have died
I woke up again WooHoo
I touched the. Sky.

The melody is growing stronger now
A symphony about to be in bloom
The color red is getting deeper now
Come go to bed watch men lay in the moon (?)
The butterfly inside is tickling
I am to0 shy I think I'm going to write
But in my mind I want to scream out loud
that you're alright-
I'm telling you tonight
(chorus)
I touched the sky
I touched the sky
I touched the sky
I touched the sky

(I forgot how hard transcribing is) Ah that's a sweet little love song and I love the slight change in enunciation and grammar that second language speakers use- it's really cute.
Tikkle Me- Butterflies in My Tummy (mp3)

You can listen to their other songs at their myspace page- according to their wall or whatever it seems most of their fans are Swedish; help them internationalize. I highly highly recommend "Radio Star"
And so for all of these reasons, plus the fact I wanted a place for Tikkle Me lyrics and I have a strange thing for sweden (see Fucking Åmål-it is magical, I heart it) Tikkle Me is the Best Band Ever*

(all images originally found here)

Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi:
i'm From Chile and I LOVE TIKKLE ME... the beats... the voice... the music... the clever lyrics...
But would be great if you can add more lyrics... my englisg is not good enough to transcribing... Gracias.