Tuesday, September 18, 2007

More Fun with Censorship

I was actually going to have the following be a part of my Fun with the First Amendment post and talk about varying degrees of censorship but since I've started righting some of these posts from the ending backwards it become a lot more political and longer than I had intended (and I'm not sure if I agree with what I wrote at all.) It was supposed to be a fun little trip down the censorship and itchy fingers of the decency monitors who were in charge of the 4 second delay during the Emmys.

Here is a tape of the "controversial" Sally Field acceptance speech uncensored


LAist has audio of Kathy Griffin accepting her award that was supposedly banned from the telecast. and it actually made me laugh
"A lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus. He didn't help me a bit. If it was up to him Cesar Milan would be up here with that damn dog. So all I can say is Suck it Jesus, this award is my god now!" Big big fan. [UPDATE: there's video. Yay video!

The Hollywood Reporter has an article about things that were censored during the Emmys

"Two other instances called for some creative camera selection on the fly. "Grey's Anatomy's" Katherine Heigl mouthed the word "shit" upon learning that she had won for supporting actress in a drama series, which prompted Fox to use a previously taped snippet of the audience in its stead.

Early in the broadcast, Fox was forced to drop picture and sound during a stand-up monologue from "Everybody Loves Raymond's" Ray Romano. Referring to the new Fox series "Back to You" featuring "Frasier" star Kelsey Grammer and his own former co-star on "Raymond," Patricia Heaton, Romano said, "Frasier is screwing my wife." Fox opted to eliminate the verb from the aforementioned sentence."

In case you didn't see the broadcast, Defamer made a clip that "[tackles] the "mystery" of that trio of perplexing cuts" You can watch it here.


Finally TMZ has released the uncensored tape of OJ "allegedly" committing armed robbery and it doesn't actually make me as uncomfortable as I thought it would. Maybe it's because while OJ is yelling though his voice is deep it still has a strange quality in its pitch as if he's a little boy who's so angry and excited that he can't seem to keep his voice as angry as he wants it to be.I guess you don't have to be so macho when you have a knife, or buddies with a gun, I mean if he did any of that. I have to ask though, why is there a recording? It seems like a set-up. [UPDATE: Apparently it is a common thing to have a tape recording when you interact with OJ]

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: