Monday, August 27, 2007

Your Stuck in my Head Song of the Day

This has been in my bookmarks for a bit now, but once again it is well worth sharing. The Norwegian Princess Märtha Louise is opening an alternative therapy center and is claiming to teach how to talks to angels. Just as she talks to angels. She says she's realized this since she was a child and her experience with horses taught her how to make contact. I blame my mom and grandparents for teaching me about such matters in a positive light, but because of that I believe things like angels are"forces that surround us and who are a resource and help in all aspects of our lives."
Of course in our society such claims are dismissed and ridiculed or, in the kindest of moments labeled as new age or fringe but even if she is "crazy" (or eccentric; she is royal) like some people claim I think she has a pretty legitimate reason, basically being pushed that far down the line of succession and out of the throne.
Of course when I read that article, and actually just read the headline, the Black Crowe's song "She Talks to Angels" immediately sprung into mind. I've always liked the song even though the lyrics are dark. Sometimes I just really like the thoughts of angels
I'm pretty sure the song is about, as are most songs, heroin or some other drug use, but the metaphor of talking to angels is such a really beautiful one to me. And maybe that is what heroin feels like, like you are actually close to heaven and its beings, which is very enticing (I've been looking for a reason to try heroin, get addicted then break it cold turkey)

She never mentions the word "addiction"
In certain company
Yeah she'll tell you she's an orphan
After you meet her family

She paints her eyes as black as night now
Pulls those shades down tight
Ooh yeah there's a smile when the pain comes
The pain's gonna make everything alright...

(chorus)

She keeps a lock of hair in her pocket
She wears a cross around her neck
The hair is from a little boy
And the cross is someone she has not met, not yet...

(chorus)

She don't know no lover
None that I ever seen
That, to her, don't mean nothing
But to me, it means
It means everything

She paints her eyes as black as night now
Pulls those shades down tight
She gives a smile when the pain comes
Ooh yeah the pain gonna make everything alright
Alright

(chorus):
Ooh yeah she talks to angels
They call her out by her name
Yeah she talks to angels
They call her out
ooh don't you know
they call her out
ooh
they call her out by her name

Here's the video circa 1991. And the song She Talks to Angels from their album Shake Your Moneymaker
So the Princess is probably a little off and the song is about drug use or cutting, and not a greater beauty and a higher consciousness
But isn't it nice to think so?
Black Crowes -She Talks To Angels (live) [mp3]

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: