Thursday, August 23, 2007

Speeches that Fail At Expressing What I'm Feeling

but come the closest of any that I've been able to think of right now.
I totally had another path or idea for a speech but then I got an e-mail from Hubby, which will be her last for the next two years, and it was really beautiful and was what I needed to hear (though I didn't know it before then) and I got really emotional and tried to find some speech or monologue that summed up feelings of love and life and that even though time passes slow, true love survives. Something about the beauty of it all. I'm not sure exactly. So I spent the last few hours racking my brain and searching youtube, and of course a lot of the ones I could think of weren't on youtube but these got really close.
Here's Woody Allen from Hannah and Her Sisters discovering, in his own way the beauty of life:

"They're funny, and what if the worst is true? There's no God, you only go around once, that's it. Don't you want to be part of the experience? It's not all a drag. And I'm thinking to myself 'I should stop ruining my life searching for answers and just enjoy it while it lasts.' And after, who knows? Maybe there is something. I know "maybe" is a slim reed to hang your life on ... but that's the best we have. And then I started to sit back…and I actually began to enjoy myself."


This is from Moonstruck. I was sort of opposed to this movie, because it seemed cheesy and starred Cher, but it is one of my friends, Kelsey from Bowdoin, with whom I was in Rome, it's her favorite movie so we watched it and I fell in love. It's such a great, fun and gorgeous movie. Nic Cage has never been better, or more beautiful (emotionally) in his own way. I think that is a fantastic way to think about life and love as imperfect and sometimes messy, but really that's what makes it fun and worthwhile.

"I love you. Not like they told you love is and I didn't know this either. But love don't make things nice, it ruins everything! It breaks your heart, it makes things a mess. We're not here to make things perfect. Snowflakes are perfect, stars are perfect. Not us! Not US! We are here to ruin ourselves and...and to break our hearts and love the wrong people and...and DIE...I mean the storybooks are bullshit."


And finally this is one of may favorite scenes from Philadelphia. I only saw this movie for the first time recently, because I don't like to be sad, I still like my Tom Hanks comical, and I've never gotten around to it, but it was quite worth it. It's not necessarily a speech but music is what gets us closest to our true, pure unfettered or unfiltered souls. Plus I love the song and Maria Callas. Just beautiful.

"It was during this sorrow that Love came to me. In a voice filled with harmony it said 'Live Still. I am Life. Heaven is in your eyes... I am Divine. I am Oblivion. I am the god that comes down from the Heavens to the Earth and makes of the Earth a Heaven. I am LOVE... I am love."

Y'know, maybe those did get close enough after all.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: