Thursday, September 6, 2007

A Speech on What it Feels Like

This speech may be a little safe but after the disappointment of last week and fucking up Agrado's speech, I didn't want to get sad or feel worthless or let y'all down again (and technically I did already "give" a great speech this week.) It does fits my mood and current mindset more than anything else I have ready or can find easily though so that works. Plus my last two posts were really boyish- gotta restore balance.

Anyway this is from the film Cement Garden and I first heard it, as did the majority of people in thee intro to the Madonna song, "What it Feels Like for a Girl" which I was really excited about after hearing this speech included, but actually is a very pedestrian kind of bad song. Very disappointing (though the video was banned and kind of amusing). But it is a tremendous little scene and speech and one that I think is very true still, even in our "more enlightened" society. If you're a guy trying getting highlights put in wearing a flowery tank top and see how many looks you get-see you don't even need to; you know already the reaction:

"Girls can wear jeans
And cut their hair short
Wear shirts and boots
'Cause it's OK to be a boy
But for a boy to look like a girl is degrading
'Cause you think that being a girl is degrading
But secretly you'd love to know what it's like
Wouldn't you"
What it feels like for a girl

Oh and get well soon Charlotte (Gainesbourg;) you have too much beauty to leave so soon.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: