Monday, November 5, 2007

Things To Do This Week: Monday-Wednesday*

since television may be moribund or far too “reality based” for the near future here are a few things to do this week November 5- November whatever next Sunday is.

(and a peek into my process here, because I’ve discovered letting people into the experience is oh so much fun! I really didn’t know if I should keep doing things that are playing in L.A. or since I moved up north to focus on things in the Bay Area. But then I realized that first I don’t really know much about the different venues and “spirit” of here yet and that a good plurality of my “readers” are in So Cal (not to mention a lot of information about what’s happening I yoink from L.A. Weekly and I haven’t discovered the San Francisco equivalent yet, though admittedly I haven’t been looking.) So I think I’m going to keep on with L.A.ness for a bit more, until I get my sea legs, at least.

Monday: “Oscar’s Docs: Part Three” The series showcasing films winning the Oscar for documentary filmmaking continues focusing on 1977-88 with "Witness to War: Dr. Charlie Clements""Broken Rainbow" and " Women — for America, for the World "at the A.M.P.A.S. Linwood Dunn Theater, the Shout Out Louds with (Johnossi and Nico Vega) at the Henry Fonda, at the New Beverly Cinema a David Lynch Double Feature: First Lost Highway then Dune. [I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen Dune-I remember when I was little my brother had like picture books about it so I think I got the story but…it’s about spices,right?], Success at the Stella Adler theatre or "The Valerie Project" The rarely screened Czech New Wave film Jaromil Jires' Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (1970) gets a makeover with live music by some of the “heroes of the new folk/psychedelic movement,” including a nine-piece collective all the way from Philadelphia at the Silent Movie Theatre.

Tuesday: Architecture in Helsinki, Glass Candy, Panther at The Troubadour, at the Egyptian an Andy Kaufman double feature: "I’m From Hollywood" a look at Kaufman’s caustic stint in the world of professional wrestling, including his much publicized row with Jerry Lawler and his challenge to amateur female wrestlers. Plus, "Andy Kaufman Plays Carnegie Hall" Discussion following with Lynne Margulies, wrestler Jerry Lawler, Carnegie Hall producer Charles Braverman and the world’s oldest living wrestler, The Aztec Mummy," Jill Sobule and Julia Sweeney at the Largo, Informational Religious Forum-"Mormonism 101" at Rancho Park Library (Ray Bradbury Room) [Prepare for the coming of Mitt Romney, your overlord-and apparently these aren't true], En Un Sol Amarillo "Teatro de los Ande's docudrama set after the 1998 Bolivia earthquake. In Spanish with English supertitles" at the Kirk Douglas Theatre, Vanessa Carlton with the Graham Colton Band at the Ivar or 365 Days/365 Plays at the Marina Pavilion at California Plaza. The finale of the yearlong daily performance project by Suzan-Lori Parks.

Wednesday: The Hives at the Avalon, The Hold Steady with Art Brut (and The Blood Arm) at the Henry Fonda (!)(!)(!), a Sneak Preview of "No Country for Old Men" at the Aero Theater (!)(!)(!), "Doubt, a Parable" at the South Coast Repertory (playing through the weekend and beyond), Ladies of the Slack Key Guitar at the Cerritos Center for the Performing Arts "All hailing from Hawaii, Cindy Combs, Princess Owana Salazar and Brittni Paiva are masters of traditional and contemporary slack key guitar." Low End Theory "Daddy Kev's underground hip-hop night has Dntel, DJ sets from Dublab Soundsystem, The Gaslamp Killer, much more" at the Airliner, Love Like Blue “Kristen Lazarian's dark romantic comedy about three couples breaking up and getting it together" at the Whitefire Theatre, One Solution “Researcher discovers a cure for cancer, in Allan Smith's play” at the Stella Adler Theatre, Tonight at Eight-ThirtyNoel Coward One Acts” at the Deaf West Theatre, World premier of Suzan-Lori Parks"Ray Charles Live! A New Musical!" at the Pasadena Playhouse or Restless Brilliance "Presented by Volume arts organization, this evening of multidisciplinary art forms includes sound manipulation, soundtrack generation, digital media, computer-generated visuals, aural landscapes, video mixes, and animation. This second installment offers 12K Records founder Taylor Deupree, musician and multimedia artist Christopher Willits and visual experimentalists I8U & Chika. Frank Bretschneider's Rhythm Exp, which explores the link between fine art and the abstract purity of music, will be screened" at the Hammer Museum


*and hopefully my computer won't give out before i can give you the fun stuff for the weekend, like last time, because there are some really amazing things happening

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: