Friday, November 9, 2007

I Guess This Solves "Da Mystery of Chessboxin"

On Deadspin today, as I was wasting time I saw a post about chessboxing. After reading that post I was really confused as to what exactly it was or was going on. The World Chess Boxing Organization site didn't help to explain much and I was still horribly confused
though I did begin to suspect that chessboxing is chess played in a boxing ring.

Finally because I was getting nowhere I went to wikipedia (I have no clue why I didn't go to it first but oh well) and found the rules, that actually did help in explaining.

A match between two opponents consists of up to eleven alternating rounds of boxing and chess sessions, starting with a four-minute chess round followed by two minutes of boxing and so on. Between rounds there is a 1 minute pause, during which competitors change their gear. The form of chess played is "speed chess" in which each competitor has a total of twelve minutes for the whole game. Competitors may win by knockout, checkmate, a judge's decision or if their opponent's twelve minutes of chess time elapses. If a contestant doesn't make a move in the chessround, he will be issued a warning by the referee. At the second warning the contestant will be disqualified.

Apparently "the basic idea in chessboxing is to combine the #1 thinking sport and the #1 fighting sport into a hybrid that demands the most of its competitors – both mentally and physically." So do they match an athletic guy against a more intellectual chess player? Or is it like chess nerd v. chess nerd in certain rounds just flaling at each other. (and accordingly big boxers fumbling around on a chess board like it's checkers" I actually think that Garry Kasparov would be quite good at this- I can imagine that he could build up some rage against certain people, like Putin, though I suspect Vladimir may just poison him- the Russians seem to be all about that.


There could actually be a great match between Kasparov and Lennox Lewis. They each have their strengths, though Lennox's strength can leave you bloody and in pain, while Kasparov will just leave you frustrated. Also Lennox could probably beat (up) a computer.


Wu-Tang Clan- Da Mystery of Chessboxin'

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) - Da Mystery of Chessboxin'

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: