Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A Song I Wish I Could've Written

but that Jackson Browne was able to write at sixteen (16!)
It's These Days and it is one of those perfect songs for an autumn or winter day where you just kind of feel...like you don't know what to feel. Like one of those days. I guess I really listened to the lyrics for the first time today and they just struck me. I think it's the weather.

These Days

Well I've been out walking
I don't do that much talking these days
These days--
These days I seem to think a lot
About the things that I forgot to do
For you
And all the times I had the chance to

And I had a lover
It's so hard to risk another these days
These days--
Now if I seem to be afraid
To live the life I have made in song
Well it's just that I've been losing for so long

I'll keep on moving
Things are bound to be improving these days
One of these days--
These days I sit on corner stones
And count the time in quarter tones to ten, my friend
Don't confront me with my failures
I had not forgotten them

Nico's version is the one I'm most familiar with and the one I personally like the best but the Jackson Browne and Gregg Allman versions sort of give off that autumnal melancholy vibe a little bit more.

Nico- These Days [download] buy it on iTunes
Nico - Chelsea Girl - These Days

Jackson Browne- These Days [download] buy it on iTunes
Jackson Browne - For Everyman - These Days

Gregg Allman- These Days [download] buy it on iTunes
Gregg Allman - Laid Back - These Days


one in an occasional series

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: