Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Your Simply Amazing Stuck in My Head Song of the Day

Much of the reason I was so America-centered today, besides the fact it was the 4th of July, blah, was because I wanted to use this song as my stuck in my head song of the day. Simply put it is seriously one of the best songs I have ever heard. It is called American Tune by Paul Simon, America's 2nd greatest songwriter ( I give Bob Dylan his respect.)
The song was written in the malaise, turmoil and disillusionment of the early 70's and as many people have made known, we are living in a similar time of distrust with our government. The lyrics speak of the achievements of our country, but also a dream of it all slipping away. Of feeling that you're so far away from that ideal. Of being broken down and weak, yet ready and eager to try to make it better. Many of the lyrics can be thought to apply to each of us personally, but also of course. to America as a nation. These words, they are as gorgeous as anything Paul Simon, or anyone else has ever written. It is a song I will always hold in my heart as what America means. I think that is much of the message. Just as there is some negativity, and no country is perfect, we must all be hopeful and work to help achieve our goal of what America should be, and that is what I hope I can leave you with tonight. "Tomorrow's going to be another working day."
Goodnight and G*d bless America.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: