Friday, July 20, 2007

Your Stuck in my Head Video(s) of the Day

Stay with me because this may seem a little convuluted (and I don't think I spelled that word right at all.) Anyway I've tried to focus on positivity, love hope and beauty, but sometimes the songs themselves that are lodged in your head aren't necessarily the most joyful. Such is the case today. I don't think I had these songs stuck in my head, as much as the videos. But c'est la vie. I've had She Wants Revenge's Tear You Apart in my head for awhile (it's quite addictive)- I remember the first time I heard it I thought it was a new song from Interpol. Of course I later found out who it was (thank you XM radio.) But I still loved the song and when I saw their video I was completely blown away. Who knew Joaquin Phoenix could direct? And who knew he would have a transgender theme and plot, and while the lyrics and song itself aren't really happy I identify quite strongly with this video (for rather obvious reasons) and the ending always makes me really happy and is a fantasy for I would suppose many people, but especially those who have been ostracized and attacked for living their truth. So here's She Wants Revenge and "Tear You Apart"


And any band that has their first video with that type of message I'm bound to like. I was then thinking about that video while having the song stuck in my head and it sparked a memory of when I was young and a video that I knew meant a lot to me at the time, and looking back may mean even more. It's Soul Asylum and Just Like Anyone. The video features Claire Danes at the height of her My So-Called Life fame ( I remember that show being amazing, and it still holds up today). And though the video does not have quite an explicit transgender theme I think you'll be able to read between a few lines.
Embedding it from Youtube has been disabled (damn artist requests; I remember the good old lawless days) so click on this link if the video doesn't work below; I'm trying new things out of necessity



I love the school dance theme, and its import and symbolism, lord knows my senior prom was mind blowing (at Duke not in high school.) And I'm not sure about it but I have a feeling that this video, and its ending, may have planted the seeds for one of my recurring dreams, of ascending from my skin and rising as a winged golden angel. Metaphor much?
Who knows; either way you cut it you gotta love the message, and more importantly the grunge. (and I so had a post today without a youtube embed. I told you I'm not a total slacker)

But this videos (songs, whatevers) I think fit into the theme of today of beauty and hope and eventual happiness. Just like I cried with happiness for Christine Daniels, was run ragged with emotions and ended up coming out because of it (it's in my last sunday confessional- great reading I'm sure) the release and acceptance that these videos and their final scenes show, escaping the cruelty and pettiness and hurt and transcending it all to find a greater joy and a place of peace and acceptance, are truly beautiful and make me happy at least. Anyway thanks for sticking with me and though I probably don't know you personally, you know me, and I love you for that. Let's keep in touch.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: