Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Sequels I'd Pay to See

In this summer of remakes and sequels, I decided to give my two cents about movies that should be made, that could be sweet and would only marginally destroy the reputation of the original. I'm not good with titles or names ( I've had a turtle for 15 years and her name is still Turtle) so you can supply your own.
(This is the first in an occasional series)

So we've all seen and loved Pulp Fiction and the ending, (though a movie with overlapping times and out of order stories you can't really be sure) but the ending where Vincent Vega and Jules Winfield are in the diner getting robbed by Tim Roth. But it is the point where Jules is thinking about his life and thinking about changing it after his miracle: From IMDb:


Jules: Your life. I'm givin' you that money so I don't hafta kill your ass. You read the Bible?
Pumpkin: Not regularly.
Jules: There's a passage I got memorized. Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you. I been sayin' that shit for years. And if you ever heard it, it meant your ass. I never really questioned what it meant. I thought it was just a cold-blooded thing to say to a motherfucker before you popped a cap in his ass. But I saw some shit this mornin' made me think twice. Now I'm thinkin': it could mean you're the evil man. And I'm the righteous man. And Mr. 9mm here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous ass in the valley of darkness. Or it could be you're the righteous man and I'm the shepherd and it's the world that's evil and selfish. I'd like that. But that shit ain't the truth. The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd.

(here's a video of the scene, if reading it yourself didn't have the same dramatic force)
I love that line "But I'm tryin' Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." I wanna see him try, and perhaps fail. I really want to see the end of Jules story. I mean we know what happens to Vega (I won't give out any spoilers for the one person who hasn't seen it), Butch and his wife can be presumed to live happily ever after. All the rest of the characters haven't gone through such an extreme change, so we can assume they're going to keep on keepin' on. But Jules is radically changing his life. The film could be seen as a philosophical treatise on repentance or existentalism, and all the temptations and problems he will encounter, and all the people who will touch him, and he them in return, or something like that) I'm sure Samuel L. would do it (he'll star in anything for money it seems) and I think it would be at least as interesting as Tarantino's proposed Kill Bill 3 and probably better than this proposed prequel, (though there would be a lot more violence in that one.) Plus Travolta sucks. So come on Hollywood; ruin another perfect movie perhaps, or maybe make something lasting.
I'm just saying.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: