Monday, July 9, 2007

The NAACP: More Relevant than Ever

In case you hadn't heard the NAACP is having a funeral for the N-Word. In Detroit of all places. I guess from this day forward the word nigger, ahem excuse me, nigga will never be heard again. Children will grow up not knowing of the word or saying it to shock their friends. Racism will slowly be stripped from our languageRace will no longer be an appropriate social constructno will be ever be called a nigger againhumans will lose the capacity to articulate its soundsa great many songs will be banned because they contain the word niggafinally dogs and cat will be able to live together. Mass Hysteria. All of love, and all because that premier civil rights organization the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People has taken the courageous step of having a fake funeral to bury a WORD. To bury the word nigger, so the word nigga is never spoken again. I really thought holding fake funerals was merely the province of performance artists or shock jocks. I didn't realize it was really the tool of political organzations trying to keep up their record of relevance (especially in the past 30 years.) Hopefully that collection of letters, that grouping of sounds that form the word nigga, excuse me, nigger will be consigned to history, somewhere next to the usage of the word colored.
But until then enjoy.





The Last Poets- Niggers are Scared of Revolution (mp3) Buy it
Patti Smith- Babelogue/Rock n Roll Nigger (mp3) Buy it
DMX- My Niggas (mp3) Buy it
Mos Def- Mr. Nigga (mp3) Buy it

(and I guess I should have warned about the offensiveness of this post. And I'm not anti-NAACP I just wish they would become relevant again instead of relying on actions from the civil rights era. As I always tell my mom, they are an irrelevant organization that doesn't realize its dying)

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: