Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Your Simply Amazing Stuck in My Head Song of the Day

Ok I just finished off a bottle of champagne for no other reason than to celebrate the fact that its Tuesday...and I was craving a drink and it was the only thing in the house, so we'll see how well this goes. But as you may have seen today was an interesting battle for song of the day but in the end the song I woke up with is going to be the song I fall asleep too. I guess posting about Sara Bareilles last night and gravity posted a basic melody and sense of place in my mind because when I woke up I was humming Cat Power's "I Found a Reason."(I'm not that depressed, I swear) I found out that its a cover of a Velvet Underground song, but its one of those covers that transcends the original and stands above it as its own; The arrangement and lyrics are so sparse that really all you are left with is a sense of the emotion and feeling behind it, and that is why I love Chan so much. I'm sure the Wachowski Siblings ( I don't think we can call them Brothers anymore) felt the same way when they included her version in V For Vendetta, which along with Antony & The Johnsons Bird Gerhl are the only "pop" songs in the film.
For about an hour there Nirvana's Blew overtook it, but in the end, especially once I got drunk and soo emotional Cat Power won out so here's a live version of I Found A Reason. She is so amazing...

(this version of the song is better, though I hate movie clip interspersion)
I love her version so much more than the original but below is a link to Velvet Underground's version from their 1970 album Loaded.

Cat Power- I Found a Reason (mp3) buy her The Covers Record
Velvet Underground - I Found a Reason (mp3) buy Loaded

o
k good night everyone , I think I'm off to ship Hubby stuff tomorrow, so we'll see how this whole blog thing works...

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: