Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Something I really want to see and something I really don't

(both originally brought to my attention via Best Week Ever, or BWE as the kids say)

Firstly the brilliant Wes Anderson has a new movie coming out Sept. 29 called The Darjeeling Limited about Owen Wilson, Adrien Brody and Jason Schwartzmann as brothers who try to reconnect by traveling across India. There are so many things I like in that last sentence I'm so excited, plus the trailer looks really good and happy. I'm just hoping they don't fall into a trap of Indian Stereotypes or Orientalism, but I think they'll be able to avoid it; they seem above that. You can see the trailer here.

Something that doesn't seem able to rise above stereotypes is a show originally from Britain called There's Something About Miriam, the something being that she's actually a transsexual. (Whoops I hope I didn't just give away the ending. Here's a clip of the finale, if you must) It just seems like an incredibly cruel and mean spirited shows that play off of and reinforce transphobia and the belief that people are being tricked and all other fears and negativity. But the best part is its coming to America,
(hold your applause) because Americans aren't smart to come up with their own ideas and we all know how well similarly themed reality shows have succeeded in the past. And plus have there not been enough cases of violence towards gay men or transpeople by people who claimed they were"trapped and lied to " in similar circumstances, even on television? Hmm I may actually be offended by and defensive about something. Strange. Good thing no one gets Fox Reality.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: