Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Best Band Ever*

*according to me, at this moment, subject to change without notice.

This week the Best Band Ever is Jamiroquai. It's the summer, the sun is up and the days are long, which makes it perfect for danicng hours away. That was the kind of mood I was in when I woke up this morning and Jamiroquai perfectly captured the mood for me with that kind of electric funk and r&b mix. Such a groove. You can't help but get up and move. They first came ,in 1996, to America's attention with Virtual Insanity, an amazing video that basically swept that coveted and esteemed MTV Video Awards (though I did care much more about them then-I was 13)

It still holds up pretty well, though his hat schtick really doesn't. And though I didn't understand it at the time, the lyrics sort of predicted a scientific world that we are now in and venturing further into, with cloning and stem cells. Somewhat prescient (and tinged with conservatism and a return to traditional values it seems.) I didn't listen to them for a few years while I was in my pretty heavy rap phase, but then I rediscovered my brother's cd Travelling Without Moving and just got back into the groove (you can dance!) Being in my sort of stellar space funk state, which I sort of go in and out of, I really started to like their song Cosmic Girl (thats how I like to think of myself, infamously of course)

(It should be noted that I'm pretty sure this is the video that inspired Canibus' line "My hand is quicker than the eye/Quicker than the 5 speed Jamiroquai drives" from his song 100 Bars) I then read on the internet how some British kid who killed himself and filmed it live on the internet had played Deeper Underground as his last song, and being the morbid one I am, I immediately found the song online. It's from the Godzilla soundtrack, which was an amazing soundtrack for such a horrible movie.

From Deeper Underground I then found out about their Synkronized album, which I didn't like as much but it had the song King for a Day, which I liked a lot. It was more theatric and operatic and reeking of melancholy, and maybe I am kind of a prima donna in that regard (plus he had gotten rid of the hat by then, thank god.)

The last time I heard from them was from the dance scene in Napoleon Dynamite. The song Canned Heat, and how many of us when hearing the song dance, even if it is as goofily as Napoleon Dynamite (and this was so the song I had stuck in my head this morning)


For all these reasons, and the fact that I'm a dancing queen right now, Jamiroquai is the Best Band Ever. I hope I brightened and funked up your day :)

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: