Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Not Even Close To The Worst Shirts I've Ever Seen


You know those shirts that have an double entendre or offensive statement on them? Well Radar has a feature where a (hopefully an intrepid cub) reporter goes around to various social settings in New York wearing shirts with such "vulgarities" as "I Shaved My Balls For This?" "He Loves The Cock [with arrow pointed to the right]*" "I'll Fuck The Fat Friend" 'I'm going to stick my fist up your ass**" or my absolute favorite (and one that actually made me gasp for a sec): "My Other Dick is Black."
And the best (or worst part if you hope for drama or conflict) is that no one seemed to care, most people brushing it aside with a "whatever." I'm sure there's something to be said here about the "deteriorating of moral standards and decency in society" or the "coarsening of culture" but I'm not that type.
Now I've never actually seen people wear those kind of crude shirts, and I wonder who would besides as a joke, but those shirts and that feature reminded me of two similar shirts that I saw in New Orleans like 4 years apart.
The first one was during AmeriCorps when we were stationed outside of the city to help the Red cross with Tropical Strom Isidore and Hurricane Lili. One night as we're on Bourbon street enjoying ourselves after like 6 straight 13 hour days and one of my friends bought a shirt that read "FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING FUCK" and actually wore it! It blew me away-I wonder if she still has it.
And the other was about 6 months after Hurricane Katrina when I went down with a class to do relief work and make a documentary and there were so many shirts in stores that read (though I don't recall seeing anyone wearing one) Katrina Gave Me The Blow Job of My Life. I kind of wish I had bought one just for sentimentality's sake..

(yeah I'm not quite happy with this post, but I'm tired, my chest hurts, nothing is really grabbing me right now and I don't want to think. But as a heads up I think, in order to reclaim some server space, that I'm going to delete all mp3 files from before, let's say the start of October. and if there's something that you really want that's unavailable you can always send me an email and I'll try to help you out (and I won't even require flattery)

* I think i need to get that for one of my friends- there's a running (almost 4 year old) joke about that so I'm sure he'd enjoy it.
**who says that?!

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: