Wednesday, October 3, 2007

There He Goes Again

Auric Goldfinger once said "Once is Happenstance, Twice is Coincidence, Three Times is Enemy Action."
Count with me
Once: On Saturday during a debate over whether candidates would take lobbyists' money, Senator Edwards asked an audience of 1,000 plus bloggers and netroots activists at the YearlyKos Presidential Forum: "How many people in this audience have a Washington lobbyist working for you?"....Then on Sunday, Obama appeared to have a little 'amnesia' and used Edward's line in Nevada."I don't mind lobbyists having a seat at the table, I just don't want them to buy all the chairs. I want them to be part of the discussion where citizens also are part of the process. . . How many people here have a federal lobbyist?"
Twice: Sources close to Edwards say Obama is parroting one of the former North Carolina senator's best lines -- that America needs a president who's "not afraid to use the word 'union.'" They noticed that last Saturday in Iowa at an AFL-CIO event Obama said, "We need a president...who is not afraid to mention unions."News reports since April have quoted Edwards using a similar line. In June, speaking to unionized local and state government employees, Edwards said, "Isn't it time to have a president of the United States who's not afraid to say the word 'union' and is proud to stand with you and your cause?"He was quoted again last month at a United Steelworkers forum saying, "We need a president not afraid to use the word 'union.'"
and Three Times: (from The Hill)

Edwards’s campaign also blasted Obama for parroting the former senator in a foreign policy speech he gave Tuesday in which he said he wanted to work towards ending nuclear proliferation. They said the senator has followed Edwards on a number of issues this campaign year, including healthcare, poverty and now nuclear proliferation.

“If you need any more proof that John Edwards is shaping the race for the Democratic nomination, you don’t need to look any further than Senator Obama, who has followed Edwards’s lead on healthcare, poverty and, today, eliminating nuclear weapons,” Murray said in an e-mail to The Hill. “Next thing you know, he’ll be rooting for the Tar Heels.” [Ed. Note-ugh]

Edwards first addressed the issue of nuclear proliferation in speeches to the Council on Foreign Relations in May, then again during a speech on counterterrorism in September.




The staff of the Obama Endeavour tried to respond by saying Barack " is the only candidate with the right judgment and experience to lead this country." His experience? Well, maybe "life experience" counts and if you tie that with his vote in against the war (in the Senate-oh wait no; he wasn't in the senate before 2005) then he has about the same experience and judgment as the guy who worked at the Happy Harrys in Perryville ( he had an incredibly interesting life.) Y'know, most children know that war is bad too. [UPDATE: And others are reporting on how his "bold leadership" on that issue wasn't all that bold to begin with]

I agree his judgment is right- just take everything that John Edwards says and repeat it a few weeks later. I guess if you're going to steal, may as well steal from the best. Seriously though I think we need a president who can actually formulate thoughts and think for themselves. And once again is Barack running on the fact that he has experience, or that he's a new voice for change? Let's not forget 7 years ago there was another candidate running on the idea of change*, and being an outsider to Washington. Of having "different experience"**

Sound familiar?
I think we all know how well that worked out. Sometimes "change" isn't a good thing...

*Theme: change how Washington works & restore moral purpose. (Jun 2000)
Despite prosperity, “It’s time for a change” in Washington. (Oct 2000)
the Texas governor saying his election would help move the country beyond the "confrontation and stalemate" of the Clinton-Gore era.-Washington Post 0ct 31-2000
"I am optimistic that we can change the tone in Washington, D.C.
Our nation must rise above a house divided. Americans share hopes and goals and values far more important than any political disagreements.
Republicans want the best for our nation, and so do Democrats. Our votes may differ, but not our hopes.
I know America wants reconciliation and unity. I know Americans want progress. And we must seize this moment and deliver.
Together, guided by a spirit of common sense, common courtesy and common goals, we can unite and inspire the American citizens". -G.W. Bush: Dec 13 2000 Acceptance Speech


** JIM LEHRER: Okay. Vice President Gore, as you know, continually says - questions whether or not you have the experience to be President of the United States. What do you think?

GOV. GEORGE W. BUSH: I think that's the old Washington game of trying to tear somebody down. I've been through this before. In 1994, against Governor Richards - then a popular sitting governor in Texas - all I heard was, well, "He can't possibly do the job.
You know, he's never held office." And my answer then was "Give me a chance. Give me a chance to lead." And the people of Texas did -- and as a result, I think I got pretty good marks as a leader.
My answer is the same thing to America: If you're happy with the status quo, if you want four more years of Clinton-Gore, I'm not the right person. But if you want somebody who has had - you know - life experiences that may not be - conforms to the Washington mindset - give me a chance. I've been the governor of the second biggest state in the union and I've been a successful governor.
But I've also been the CEO in the private sector of some entities, and I would -- I hold that experience -- that's valuable experience to become the president. I concede I haven't spent my entire life in Washington, nor have I ever been elected to federal office, but, to me, that's a plus, as we head into the 21st century.--Apr. 27 2000


MODERATOR: Let me just follow up one quick question. When you hear Vice President Gore question your experience, do you read it the same way, that he's talking about policy differences only?

BUSH: Yes. I take him for his word. Look, I fully recognize I'm not of Washington. I'm from Texas. And he's got a lot of experience, but so do I. And I've been the chief executive officer of the second biggest state in the union. I have a proud record of working with both Republicans and Democrats, which is what our nation needs. Somebody that can come to Washington and say let's forget all the finger pointing and get positive things done on Medicare, prescription drugs, Social Security, and so I take him for his word.-
Oct 3 2000 Debate Transcript





...

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: