Friday, December 7, 2007

Liquid Fantasies: Things that are too cool/trendy for me

*but I'd like to try

  • Sam Adams has come out with what is being called "the world's most expensive beer" and at $5 an ounce it is definitely not cheap. "Samuel Adams Utopias retails for $120 per 24 oz. bottle. It’s not only expensive, it’s... strong. This year’s vintage dated has 27 percent alcohol, about 5 times normal.“The copper-colored liquid inside hasn’t a bubble of carbonation,” the Sun Sentinel reviewed. “The first sensations are a viscous mouth feel and a sweet sherrylike flavor with nuances of toffee and maple. There are notes of vanilla and plum and a hint of charred wood. A long, lingering alcohol burn, more reminiscent of a cognac or brandy than a beer, is followed by a sweet burned-caramel aftertaste" Seriously a fine beer is almost as wonderful as a fine wine. And that taste combination sounds exquisite.
  • Something that doesn't sound delicious is the Calimocho, a drink that was recently profiled in the New York Times. The original mix was half coke half red wine and apparently people love it. "The drink was supposedly created — or at least named — at a festival in Algorta, Spain, in 1972, when some young entrepreneurs discovered that the wine they had planned to sell tasted not just bad but toxic, and added Coca-Cola-and ice to mask the flavor. It was an improbable hit." I'm still a little skeptical but you never know. Here's the recipe featured in that same article:

    1ounce Coca-Cola

    2 ounces Rhum Clement V.S.O.P. rum

    2 ounces rioja or other dry red wine.

    Combine the ingredients in a tall glass filled with ice, and serve.

  • And in my Calimocho I think I would, from now on, have to use "Premium Cola" that is reportedly not actually a company but rather a state of mind "Premium-Cola is not a company, since profit is not a goal of the collective. There is no office, no salaries and no actual boss. All members of the collective make a living by other jobs and build up Premium-Cola as sort of a hobby. All issues are decided on collectively, there is hardly any advertising - instead, art pictures are printed on the inside of the bottles' labels.

    The collective puts much thought into "proper" brand leading and acting within the economy, instead of expanding. Premium-Cola is being sold in selected outlets (not only Clubs and Bars) only, whose philosophy must be similar to that of the brand. Overall, Premium-Cola can be considered a brand philosophy project rather than a company." I really like the sleek minimalism of the bottle (though it wouldn't work well for kids looking to cheat on a test in a rather intense and ingenious manner.)

  • Finally, after almost a century, an American made absinthe is on the market. I've only had absinthe a few times, in Europe and freshmen year with a friend in the dorms, and I never "tripped" though I did get really fucking drunk, but I'm just really happy that I won't have to go through so much work to get it so I can try to dance with la Fée Verte from now on. (And oh how I do really love the European sophistication of preparing it.Makes me feel artistic and tragic.) Well done, St. George Absinthe Verte- you make me proud to be an American. (hmm, I wonder how to go about touring the plant in Alameda)

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: