Friday, February 8, 2008

Notes on a Dominican Cock Fight

Here is video of the Pedro Martinez cock fight with (the horrible, cruel and vile) Juan Marichal and when I saw it I was quite shocked by how clean and professional and official it looked, with the ads on the wall and like the turf. Usualyy when I think of animal fighting rings, especially with my American mindset I think of grainy footage in like basements or out in the middle of nowhere.


Birds kind of disgust me, I don't know why. Anyway even though it’s brutal, cruel, barbaric and offensive I don’t think too much will come out of this- once again it is legal and a huge cultural activity in the Dominican (would someone be attacked for going to a bullfight in Spain?) secondly they’re chickens and everyone loves chickens…as food. And though no one knows it or wants to admit it this is probably less cruel then what the vast majority of the billions of chickens in the US deal with- at least here they get a chance to live, if they win. Thirdly people in Boston will probably be quite Pro-Pedro considering how he helped them win their first World Series in 86 years and finally no chickens are cute, no matter what Taylor and her mean girls thought, though I agree that ugly chickens deserve to die


god I forgot how fabulous Taylor was!)
(via Deadspin)
Ps if you haven’t read it here is Clifford Geertz’s classic “Deep Play: Notes on a Balinese Cockfight” it’s an amazing read though it was pretty successfully torn apart, in my opinion by Vincent Crapanzano (i wrote a term paper on Crapanzano so I am a little partial)

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: