Monday, December 3, 2007

What The World Needs Now

is love, sweet love. I'm not sure anything is more hateful in the world right now than normal but it is Monday and I am sick, so I'm a little unhappy. And seriously when does the world not need more love?

Anyway I was watching Bowling for Columbine last night (I had not yet managed to see it before, which is bizarre) and it reminded me of a show I used to watch back in the day, Michael Moore's TV Nation. It was only on for two seasons when I was 11 and 12 but I remember really enjoying it and its kind of satirical edge (and I was a huge Mad magazine fan back then), though looking back it seems like a very strange marriage of anti corporate Michael Moore working with and under News Corp. and GE.

But of course now because of the wonder of youtube I was able to find these clips from TV Nation's Love Night, a night where Michael Moore and his merry band of mirth makers (mirth is a supremely underused word) set out to spread love to those who are consumed by hate. And though some of their targets may seem "dated" like abortion protesters and flagrant Klan members because we haven't heard of them in the same way (which is either scary because they're more underground or perhaps a good thing that love and tolerance is reigning)

Here's Part 1 where, among other festivities, the TV Nation mariachi band comes to a Ku Klux Klan rally

Part 2 where a chorus line comes to entertain across the street from the Aryan Nation headquarters

(racism is really dumb-it's bizarre)
Part 3 where pro choice partisans visit the headquarters of a virulently pro life group and spread love

and finally Part 4 where a Gay Men's Chorus attempts to serenade Jesse Helms at this office and home (and if they went to his house in North Carolina one of my good friends is like next door neighbors to him, and it does look familiar, so that part especially amused me.)


Love >> Hate.


[UPDATE: some people haven't gotten the message


There are no words...
I'm sure Quincy Jones and Michael Jackson are quite happy about this]

dude, in the end the love you take

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: