Friday, December 7, 2007

Excuse Me, I'm Just a Little Underwhelmed Right Now

The Sex and the City Movie trailer is now out and...all I can say is that episode 95 promises to be the longest. but don't take my words for it.


disclaimer: I was never the biggest Sex and the City fan. I watched it and enjoyed it on occasion but I never understood some girls in my dorm who had multiple marathon SATC viewing nights each week. It just seemed kind of strange to me that girls in their late teens/early twenties were so drawn to a show about women in their late 30s written by a gay man. I guess it was the allure of sophisticated big city glamour and that fantasy. I did really like Miranda and Charlotte though. Carrie was just annoying.
But this trailer just..looks the same. I mean I've never understood making movies based on series, unless it is a nostalgic one twenty years later or a reinvention. In cases like this, and of course I'm basing all my conclusions on like 30 seconds of footage and a voice over, it just seems like a continuation, that as long as its been rumoured has seemed unnecessary to me.I thought the ending tot he series was a fitting one and it was one that made me happy. Maybe I'm just in a horribly bitchy mood because this illness is not abating but I don't see the upside- if it sucks then it may diminish the esteem in which the franchise is held and if it's amazing then what? Sequels? I need to calm down and not be so critical towards it this early; I really didn't know I was so passionate on this subject.

The Wachowski's "Speed Racer the Movie also had it's trailer released and since I don't know anything about the cartoon besides there's a monkey named Chim Chim and that people in their 40s maybe like it, so I'll withhold bitter snap judgments but it does have a certain carnival mad house arcade feel that could work, though seeing John Goodman and Susan Sarandon was a little strange

I have a feeling that Speed Racer is going to inspire and lead a revolt against an evil totalitarian government, probably sacrificing himself and his life at the end for freedom (see V for Vendetta and The Matrix)

I need to not be so cranky.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: