Friday, January 18, 2008

It's lonely out in space

I can’t get back to sleep, I don’t know why and so as I was checking my gmail I saw that one of my guy friends who kinda knows my taste sent me this link.
Apparently like yesterday was the 30th anniversary of what the Fark author deems “the most important something or the other in history” (ahem “Exactly 30 years ago, the greatest moment in the history of televised entertainment was broadcast”)

William Shatner totally remaking Elton John’s Rocket Man in his own image. And so because I love this song and enjoy Shatner in his way and really need to get to sleep
From 1978’s Science Fiction Awards here is Shatner and it is soo weird…to see someone smoking on television. Oh and Shatner’s brilliantly wacky


Here is Chris Elliot’s homage to or reinterpretation of William Shatner’s reinterpretation of Elton John’s Rocket Man, performed on Letterman


but in all seriousness it is like one of the best songs ever*; I absolutely adore it

She packed my bags last night pre-flight
Zero hour nine a.m.
And I'm gonna be high as a kite by then
I miss the earth so much I miss my wife
It's lonely out in space
On such a timeless flight

And I think it's gonna be a long long time
Till touch down brings me round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh no no no I'm a rocket man
Rocket man burning out his fuse up here alone

Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids
In fact it's cold as hell
And there's no one there to raise them if you did
And all this science I don't understand
It's just my job five days a week
A rocket man, a rocket man

And I think it's gonna be a long long time...

And here’s a really amazing performance from Sir Elton

Elton John- Rocket Man [download] buy it on iTunes
Elton John - Elton John: Greatest Hits - Rocket Man (I Think It's Going to Be a Long Long Time)

*even though I never understood the line “it’s just my job 5 days a week”- I mean if he’s in a space capsule when it becomes the weekend does he suddenly say “fck it, I’m off the clock. Where’s my beer? I wanna watch the game” Isn’t a rocket man pretty much a 25/8 job, like an identity?

aaaand I need to be up in like 4 hours-rock.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: