Thursday, January 17, 2008

Paint the White House Tan

So some big news that brought shock and outrage to a lot of people today (and no, not that Barack compared himself to the anti-Democrat and thus anti-humanity and pro-evil Reagan) but rather because of a joke.
From the Rocky Mountain News

William R. Farr was pretending to read telegrams congratulating this year's award recipient, University of Colorado President Hank Brown, when he pulled out a piece of paper and said, "I have a telegram from the White House."

Then he added, "They're going to have to change the name of that building if Obama's elected."

Witnesses said they could hear people gasp in the ballroom of the Adam's Mark Hotel.


Really?! That was the joke?! Firstly it wasn't really funny.
Secondly I know I'm not easy to offend but I thought with the buildup; this was one of those things where you have to click on a read more link after "I have a telegram from the White House" so I thought it would be like really bad like "And they're fixin' to plant a banana tree in the backyard so the Obama's will feel at home" or something.
Thirdly, we'd have to paint the White House tan or maybe a brownish taupe for Barack (half WASP and all)
Finally, the idea of "painting the White House black" is not a new idea- I mean I remember when I was young reading some children's book about an inner city kid dreaming about becoming President and painting the White House black as a symbol of Black pride or a sign of the end of white European hegemony and privilege or something, I think it was an Ezra Jack Keats' book.
And doing a very quick check, because I knew I had heard a similar sentiment expressed in some old rap song, I thought PE, I found these songs, mostly hip hop that talk about the same thing that Bill Farr did.

From X-Clan: "Xodus"
I hear some niggas talking 'bout they'll paint the White House black
I'd blow the sucker up and pressure on the attack

(featuring similar elements to 2Pac’s Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z )

MC Breed- "Ain't No Future in Yo Frontin'"
If I was the president, then I would state facts
You leave it up to me, I paint the white house black

(wow I actually knew this song! I think it was on a lot back in the day. I’m such an o.g. obvi)

Lil' Wayne- "Knuck if You Buck (freestyle)"
Young mane for President
I'd probably paint the white house black if it was my residence


George Clinton- Paint the White House Black

(featuring Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Yo-Yo, Flava Flav and a Hillary impersonator dancing on tables in the Oval Office. Jesus, the early 90s were weird)

Social Distortion- Don't Drag Me Down
Taking two steps forward
And four steps back
Gonna go to the White House
And paint it black


S.L.A.B.- Ready 4 War
I stay on Barbary and Scott, 5000 block
I paint the white house black, and start renting it out
"Video" (at about 1:42)

DJ Vadim- Ghetto Rebels
No time to idle the rastas are rising black we come to wipe out crack
Paint the Whitehouse black and speak real fast to the children
Expose our government foes who know the truth will never be told
They teach the people the root of all evil while they're stashing all of the gold

And from Snoop Dogg, a Dolomite skit (and I really enjoyed these lyrics)

Yes, This is me,
The bad bad Dolemite
and i'm Ready
to put me,
in the White House
make me the President,
i'm gunna move on my first act
I'm a get me 2000 ragedy ass painters
to paint the mutha fuckin white house black
Dolemite,
for your president
I'm a legalize every mutha fuckin thing

Somebody ask me how do I stand on Marijuana
Very high baby, very high
How do I stand on prosititution
I don't stand on it
I lay on it
im a legalize sellin pussy
Sell it Sell it
Sell your pussy girls
pussy will sell
if pussy don't sell
grits ain't gross
and eggs ain't poultry
and Mona Lisa is a mutha fuckin' man


I also found a few songs about painting the White House pink, which I enjoyed; songs for Hillary, perhaps?
Anyway people are way too sensitive and reading so much into everything in fear of not offending. What I did find offensive though was while continuing to read that article stumbling across this delightful anecdote
Between calf roping contests, a black rodeo clown, Leon Coffee, attempted to rope a calf without success. After an announcer pointed out that Coffee couldn't rope very well, rodeo clown Eddie Hatfield, who is white, responded by saying that Coffee knew everything about roping because his father and grandfather had died at the end of a rope. {Ed. Note WTF?!?!?!}

The exchange outraged a number of spectators, who filed complaints with the stock show and the mayor's office. At the time, stock show officials said that Coffee, a 30-year rodeo veteran, helped write the script for the banter, and that the reference was to the lynching of outlaws and not about slaves or blacks.

And even that isn't nearly as offensive as one of my favorite jokes from The Aristocrats, delivered by T.Sean Shannon
Three women of color, they go into this agent's office. He says, "What do you do?" She goes, "Well, my sister plays the cello. She plays Chopin's third movement, in B minor. I lie on a chaise lounge, naked, reading sonnets from Shakespeare, and my third sister, she makes a painting very similar to Decroix's 'The Girl'."
He says, "Wow, that sounds good, what do you call this act?"

"Oh, we're Nigger Cunts."

insert rim shot...or sound of utter despair and disgust, I don't judge but feel free to judge me. I am a horrible person.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: