Sunday, December 2, 2007

When Ads Go Bad

In just about the last hour of watching football I saw two commercials where I'm sure the advertisers who signed the celebrity endorser have to be banging their head against the wall.
The first is Brady Quinn and his commercial advertising Subway's Super Tailgate Special (or something)

This must've been conceieved and filmed this summer (note the buzz cut) when everyone assumed he would be starting for the Browns soon because so far on Sundays this fall, Brady Quinn has been as busy doing the same thing as me-watching football. Though at least I'm able to plop on a couch and chill, while Brady has to pay attention and stand up for hours on end. Score one for me. And I think that's the first time I've heard his voice. Me no likey.

And the other is the infamous, so ironic that someone must have a cruel sense of humor, the Citizen Watch Unstoppable ad featuring the good football player named Eli Manning. I saw the tv ad for one brief second, but haven't been able to track it down, though the print ad is probably better because the Eli Manning and Unstoppable aren't as fleeting as they are in motion.

But seriously did the ad wizards in charge of this campaign never watch him him play before signing this deal? With that ad line? Because right now it's kinda like saying "Puppy lover. Mike Vick is." Everyone knows it is not true and is only suitable for mockery and Kim Kardashian* jokes. I'm surprised I have seen it on a hipster sports fan** t-shirt yet.

*cheap & easy
**if such a hybrid exists.

(oh and p.s. at 4:15 pacific time Eli is actually leading his team on a comeback, which will make it more delicious when he screws up in a bit. but if he doesn't, and the giants win, of course it will have been I that inspired him to greatness. either way i win.)

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: